Khamenei propaganda video says nuclear deal doesn't ensure Israel's security

Video released as Iran's leaders try to convince hardliners in the country to accept the concessions it made in the nuclear deal.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, REUTERS
July 22, 2015 12:17
3 minute read.

Khamenei propaganda video says nuclear deal doesn't ensure Israel's security‏

Khamenei propaganda video says nuclear deal doesn't ensure Israel's security‏

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A video threatening that the safety of Israel will not be ensured despite the nuclear deal signed between world powers and Tehran last week was released on the official YouTube page of Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollal Ali Khamenei this week.

The video begins with a clip of US President Barack Obama ensuring that the US "will continue our unprecedented efforts to strengthen Israel's security."

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


A montage of Iranian missiles blasting off follows, accompanied by a voice-over from a speech by Khamenei in which he declares, "Israel's security will not be ensured whether there will be a nuclear agreement or not."

The video was released as Iran's leaders try to convince hardliners in the country to accept the concessions it made in the nuclear deal.

An Iranian official said Wednesday that Iran will not accept any extension of sanctions beyond 10 years.

Abbas Araqchi, one of several deputy foreign ministers, also told a news conference Iran would do "anything" to help allies in the Middle East, underlining Tehran's message that despite the deal Iran will not change its anti-Western foreign policy.

Khamenei, the highest authority in Iran, told supporters on Saturday that US policies in the region were "180 degrees" opposed to Iran's, in a Tehran speech punctuated by chants of "Death to America" and "Death to Israel".
Khamenei: Deal or no deal, Iran won't stop opposing US, supporting people of Palestine

Under the accord, Iran will be subjected to long-term curbs on its nuclear work in return for the lifting of US, European Union and UN sanctions. The deal was signed by the United States, Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the EU.

The world powers suspected Iran was trying to create a nuclear bomb; Tehran said its program was peaceful.

The accord was a major success for both Obama and Iran's pragmatic President Hassan Rouhani. But both leaders have to promote it at home to influential hardliners in countries that have been enemies for decades.

Araqchi, Iran's senior nuclear negotiator, told the televised conference that any attempt to re-impose sanctions after they expired in 10 years would breach the deal.

He was referring to a resolution endorsing the deal passed by the UN Security Council on Monday.

The resolution allows all UN sanctions to be re-imposed if Iran violates the agreement in the next 10 years. If Iran adheres to the terms of the agreement, all the provisions and measures of the UN resolution would end in 10 years.

"WE ARE NOT ASHAMED"


However, the six world powers, known as the P5+1, and the European Union told UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon earlier this month that after 10 years they planned to seek a five-year extension of the mechanism allowing sanctions to be re-imposed.

Araqchi challenged this move, saying: "Our priority is our national interests, not UN Security Council's resolutions."

"The UN Security Council's resolution says clearly that the timeframe of agreement is 10 years, and Iran's case will be closed in the Security Council after that," Araqchi said.

"If the US and any other member of P5+1 say they want to adopt a new resolution after 10 years allowing sanctions to be re-imposed, it is the breach of Vienna agreement and has no credibility."

Iran's foreign ministry said shortly after the passage of the resolution on Monday that the nuclear deal did not mean Tehran accepted "sanctions and restrictions imposed by the UNSC, the US, the EU or member countries."

On Monday, Araqchi told national television: "Whenever it's needed to send arms to our allies in the region, we will do so. We are not ashamed of it."

US allies in the Gulf have cautiously welcomed the July 14 deal, but they accuse Tehran of interfering in Arab conflicts, such as Syria,and pushing hard for heightened regional influence.

US Secretary of State John Kerry said in remarks published on Wednesday he will seek to reassure Gulf Arab officials at a meeting in Qatar in the next two weeks that Washington will work with them to push back against Iranian influence in the region.

"We have negotiated a nuclear deal for the simple reason that we believe if you are going to push back against Iran, it's better to push back against an Iran without a nuclear weapon than with one," the pan-Arab newspaper al-Sharq al-Awsat quoted Kerry as saying.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

 From nuclear center, Netanyahu warns those threatening to destroy Israel (August 30, 2018).
September 20, 2018
Israel nuclear chief: We are upgrading defenses at Dimona reactor

By YVETTE J. DEANE