Israeli witnesses describe Turkish 'inferno': We saw children crying and being trampled on

Final two unaccounted for Israelis in Istanbul were contacted Wednesday morning and confirmed to be unharmed.

June 29, 2016 08:49
1 minute read.

Amatuer video shows Turkey airport after terror attack

Amatuer video shows Turkey airport after terror attack


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


As of Wednesday morning no Israelis were known to have been harmed in Tuesday night's terror attack at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport in which at least 36 people were killed and 150 others were injured.

The airport is a common stop-over hub for Israelis traveling to international destinations on connecting flights.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Several Israelis were present at the airport during the attack in which three suicide bombers opened fire before blowing themselves up.

Gur, an Israeli who was in the terminal around 9 p.m. local time on Tuesday told Channel 10: "There was a big mess here. Shooting, and a lot of smoke. We're waiting to see what happened. I was after check-in, in the lounge. They made everyone run from place to place, but didn't tell us anything. Nobody knew what to do."

Gur described the moments when he first realized that a terror attack was taking place. "First there was shooting and then there was a very big explosion, and then another blast."

David, another Israeli who was on the scene described seeing "a stampede of thousands of people escaping from the inferno and falling down hysterically."

Another Israeli who withheld his name said that, "We arrived in a group of 10 Israelis, exactly when the incident was occurring. We saw people crying and yelling. The workers rushed everyone to the other side of the terminal. We realized immediately that it was a terror attack. It was horrific. We saw children crying and being trampled on, it was a very unpleasant sight."

The final two Israelis who had yet to be contacted were reached Wednesday morning and confirmed to be unharmed,  the Foreign Ministry stated.

Some 130 Israelis were at the airport on Wednesday morning awaiting flights home.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jordan's King Abdullah II (R) greets Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
October 21, 2018
King Abdullah declines to renew part of Jordan's peace deal with Israel