Ziad Doueiri .
(photo credit: Facebook)
Lebanon’s Interior Ministry banned a film by Lebanese director Ziad Doueiri
because part of it was filmed in Israel, using Israeli actors, the director
“I regret to inform you that the interior minister of Lebanon,
minister [Marwan] Charbel, has decided to punish us and the film by banning it,”
Doueiri wrote on his Facebook page on Saturday.
“We were asked to return
the permit [shown] to authorities, claiming that the reason for the rejection is
that I, Ziad Doueiri, had spent time in Israel filming.”
said he had no regrets about using Israeli actors, stating, “I have no regret
and no apologies whatsoever.”
Doueiri revealed that some Palestinian
films were filmed in Israel with Israeli actors and some even had Israeli
financing, “yet they were allowed to screen in Beirut.”
supposed to carry the Palestinian flag higher than the Palestinians themselves?”
asked Doueiri, adding that the Ministry of Culture refused to submit the film to
The film, The Attack
, won three awards at the COLCOA French
film festival in Hollywood.
Charbel told the AFP that the film’s permit
was revoked after the Interior Ministry received a letter of protest from the
Israel Boycott Office of the Arab League based in Cairo.
According to a
review by The Hollywood Reporter website, the film is about an Israeli-Arab
surgeon, Amin Jaafari, who is assimilated into life in Tel Aviv. After a suicide
bombing, he finds out that his wife was the suicide bomber. Jaafari then heads
to the Palestinian city of Nablus to find out why his wife ended up involved in
Doueiri previously worked under Quentin Tarantino as a
camera assistant in several of his movies, including Pulp Fiction
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>