Libyan government forces launch rockets on Misrata

Attack by Gaddafi troops strikes residential area near port; at least eight people killed as death toll continues to rise despite NATO involvement.

By REUTERS
April 14, 2011 12:24
1 minute read.
Gadaffi

Gaddafi 311 reuters. (photo credit: reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BEIRUT - Libyan government forces struck the coastal city of Misrata with dozens of Grad rockets on Thursday, killing eight people, a rebel spokesman said.

Misrata, Libya's third-biggest city, is the only major rebel stronghold in the west of the country. It has been the scene of major fighting between rebels and Gaddafi's forces for several weeks.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Clinton slams Libya forces' 'brutal attacks' on civilians
NATO hawks and doves bitterly divided over Libya

"They fired Grads at a residential area called Kasr Ahmad near the port this morning. They fired at least 80 rockets on that area. So far we have eight martyrs and 20 wounded," Abdelbasset Abu Mzereiq told Reuters by telephone.

He later clarified that those killed had been civilians and not rebel fighters as earlier understood. The death toll from the 90 minute artillery barrage was likely to rise, the spokesman added.

"They keep killing civilians. Yesterday we lost five civilians in the shelling and 37 were wounded."

Libyan officials say they are fighting armed militia with ties to al Qaeda bent on destroying the North African country. It is difficult to independently verify accounts from western Libya because journalists are prevented from reporting freely.

Meanwhile, France announced that was not currently in favour of arming Libyan rebels engaged in combat with troops loyal to Muammar Gaddafi, Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said on Thursday.

Asked if NATO should arm the rebels, he said "France is not currently in that frame of mind."



Click for full Jpost coverage of 
turmoil in the Middle East

Related Content

July 18, 2018
Nuclear chief: Iran builds new centrifuge rotor factory

By REUTERS