Mattis signs order withdrawing U.S. troops from Syria despite disapproval

Officials have cautioned against a timeline but the withdrawal could begin in weeks. A senior official said a specific plan was being worked on.

By REUTERS
December 24, 2018 15:47
1 minute read.
Mattis signs order withdrawing U.S. troops from Syria despite disapproval

US Defense Secretary James Mattis (L) and Army Gen. Joseph Votel, commander of US Central Command, brief the media at the Pentagon in Washington, US, April 11, 2017. (photo credit: REUTERS/YURI GRIPAS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later



WASHINGTON, Dec 24 - Outgoing US Defense Secretary James Mattis has signed an order withdrawing US forces from Syria, a Defense Department spokesman said on Monday, following through on a decision by President Donald Trump that helped trigger Mattis' resignation last week.

The signing, which had been expected, occurred after Trump announced on Sunday that he would replace Mattis two months earlier than expected, a move officials said was driven by the president's anger at a rebuke of his foreign policy contained in Mattis' resignation letter.



"The execute order for Syria has been signed," a Defense Department spokesman said in an email to Reuters that provided no operational details.



Officials have cautioned against a timeline but the withdrawal could begin in weeks. A senior official said a specific plan was being worked on.



On Wednesday, Trump said he was withdrawing US troops from Syria, citing its cost in terms of US military lives and taxpayer money.



Mattis, whose embrace of NATO and America's traditional alliances often put him at odds with Trump, had advised against the Syria withdrawal - one of the factors in his resignation.



Mattis is highly regarded by Republicans and Democrats alike and his departure added to concerns over what many see as Trump's unpredictable go-it-alone approach to global security.



In his resignation letter, Mattis had said he would step down at the end of February to allow for a successor to be confirmed and to attend congressional hearings and a key NATO meeting.

But Trump, who was irked by the attention given to Mattis' letter, said Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan would take over on an acting basis from Jan. 1.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

May 20, 2019
The battle for Idlib province

By MOHAMMAD AL-KASSIM/THE MEDIA LINE