Mahmoud Abbas at the UN 370.
(photo credit: REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz )
The Palestinian Authority reacted angrily Tuesday to statements from some
Israeli officials criticizing PA President Mahmoud Abbas.
in question came from Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon and Economy Minister
Naftali Bennett earlier in the day.
Yediot Aharonot quoted Ya’alon as
that “Abu Mazen [Abbas] is alive and well thanks to us. The moment we
leave Judea and Samaria, he is finished. In reality, there have been no
negotiations between us and the Palestinians for all these months – but rather
between us and the Americans.
The only thing that can ‘save us’ is for
[US Secretary of State] John Kerry to win a Nobel Prize and leave us in
Bennett, meanwhile, in an interview with Israel Radio, denounced
Abbas as “no different than [his predecessor] Yasser Arafat.” The economy
minister assailed Abbas for calling for a “million martyrs to march on
Jerusalem” during a speech in Ramallah last Saturday.
Nabil Abu Rudaineh, said in response that “Israeli incitement against President
Abbas comes because of his adherence to the rights of the Palestinian
Abu Rudaineh said the attacks on Abbas reflected the “depth of
the rejection of the Israeli government to any real and viable
The spokesman called on the Israeli government to reassess its
policies and abide by the requirements of the peace process. He also called for
a full and immediate cessation of settlement construction, which “destroys the
effort of the US administration.”