Saddam co-defendants deny gassing Kurdish rebels

December 21, 2006 21:30


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Two former Iraqi commanders denied they gassed Kurds in northern Iraq 20 years ago, telling Saddam Hussein's genocide trial on Thursday that they used conventional weapons against Iranian troops and Kurdish rebels. Sultan al-Tai, who was minister of defense under Saddam, and Gen. Hussein Mohammed, a deputy director of army operations, were testifying against documents and videos presented by prosecutors this week. Some of the documents stated that Saddam's government had sanctioned the use of "special weapons" - mustard or nerve gas - against the Kurds in 1987-88. "I didn't use any special weapon against the Kurds," al-Tai shouted at the judges. He claimed some of the documents implicating him were "forged," but did not elaborate.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

March 21, 2019
IDF opens investigation of Palestinian death outside Bethlehem