Suspects in Egypt Christmas attack deny killing 7

Suspects in Egypt Christ

By
January 9, 2010 22:58
1 minute read.
Egyptian Christians Protest 248 88 AP

Egyptian Christians Protest 248 88 AP. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Three men suspected in the drive-by shooting that left six Christians and one Muslim dead in southern Egypt have denied they were behind the bloody attack on Coptic Christmas Eve, officials said Saturday. The attack was the worst to target Christians in Egypt in nearly a decade. Gunmen sprayed a group of Coptic Christians leaving a local church after mass on Wednesday night. Six worshippers and a Muslim guard died, and nine people were wounded. The shooting touched off two days of rioting in which 40 people were arrested, and underscored sectarian tensions in the town of Nag Hamadi, some 40 miles (64 kilometers) north of the famed Luxor ruins. On Saturday, Christian residents of Bahjora, a village near Nag Hamadi, inspected damage from overnight arson that charred their homes. They blamed Muslims for the attacks. The three suspects in the Christmas Eve attack surrendered to police on Friday after security forces closed in on their hideout in sugar cane fields outside the town. Two officials from a local prosecutor's office said the suspects, whom authorities described as men with criminal records, denied they were involved in Wednesday's attack. The suspects will remain in custody for 15 days pending an investigation, the officials said, adding they could face charges of terrorism and premeditated murder - crimes punishable by death under Egyptian law. No charges have been raised so far, said the officials. They spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation. Copts, who make up most of 8 million Christians in this country of 80 million people, generally live in peace with Muslims but clashes occasionally occur, particularly in southern Egypt. The Copts complain of being denied equal citizenship rights and being limited in where they can build churches. The government insists Christians enjoy the same rights as Muslims. Human rights groups said attacks on Copts are on the rise. Coptic community leaders say culprits are rarely convicted because of lack of evidence.

Related Content

Mike Pompeo
August 18, 2018
Can Pompeo’s Iran Action Group deliver what Trump promised?

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN