Syrian government plans to retake north Homs from rebels next

The Syrian army and its allies have for years employed siege and bombardment tactics to force rebels to surrender their enclaves and agree to be transferred to opposition territory in northern Syria.

By REUTERS
April 24, 2018 16:11
2 minute read.
Syrian government plans to retake north Homs from rebels next

Mass destruction in eastern Ghouta. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

DAMASCUS - The Syrian government plans to recover an opposition-held pocket north of Homs city soon after it completes surrender deals with armed groups around the capital Damascus, a Syrian government minister said on Tuesday.

Having taken back the largest rebel-held area near Damascus, eastern Ghouta, in early April, the Syrian army and allied forces are close to recovering the remaining few pockets around the capital.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Pro-government forces are bombarding a jihadist enclave in south Damascus where ISIS holds a pocket next to one held by rebel factions.

In recent days, rebels in two other enclaves northeast of Damascus, Dumair and east Qalamoun, surrendered and agreed to be transferred by bus to opposition territory in northern Syria.

The Syrian army and its allies have for years employed siege and bombardment tactics to force rebels to surrender their enclaves and agree to be transferred to opposition territory in northern Syria.

Ali Haidar, the Syrian minister responsible for national reconciliation, told Reuters in an interview the government would focus on recovering an opposition-held pocket north of the city of Homs after securing the areas around Damascus.

"The issue will not be a long time coming after the final resolution in Qalamoun," Haidar said.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Haidar said the government had for a while been dropping leaflets and communicating with rebels in the opposition-held towns of Rastan, Talbiseh and Houla in northern Homs province.

"Today there is serious work in that area," he said.

"Armed groups wait to feel the seriousness and determination of the state's military action before they approach serious discussion of a reconciliation agreement."

Haidar said such reconciliation deals are also on offer to rebels in southern Syria, where a de-escalation zone was agreed by the United States and Russia last year.

"The options are open: full reconciliation or military action where necessary."

But he indicated that retaking areas around Damascus and Homs - the last rebel areas entirely besieged by the government - were the immediate priorities.

On Friday, state media said insurgents had surrendered in the south Damascus enclave, which includes the Yarmouk Palestinian refugee camp, Hajar al-Aswad district and neighbouing areas. But pro-Syrian government forces were still bombarding the area by Tuesday.

Haidar said the militants had subsequently refused the deal and the military option was now being used.

On Tuesday Syrian state media showed footage of smoke rising from the Hajar al-Aswad area south of Damascus and said the bombardment was targeting militant positions.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
October 23, 2018
Report: Murdered journalist's remains found in Saudi consul's garden

By ZACHARY KEYSER