Turkish activist that participated in Marmara flotilla killed in US strike

Jordanian authorities continued their campaign against supporters of Islamic State, arresting 87 Salafi Islamic State supporters.

By
September 28, 2014 21:47
2 minute read.
mavi marmara

Mavi Marmara, 2010. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

US-led air strikes against the Islamic State in the Syrian city of Idlib have killed a Turkish activist who participated in the Humanitarian Relief Foundation (IHH) sponsored Mavi Marmara flotilla, Turkish media reported.

Forty-year old Yakup Bulent Alniak was married and had two children, the Turkish World Bulletin website reported.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


IHH was behind the Mavi Marmara flotilla that sought to break Israel’s blockade of the Gaza Strip in May 2010. Israel Navy commandos boarded the ship, were attacked, and killed nine of the attackers.

In January, Turkish police arrested at least 23 people as part of raids against al-Qaida targets, including the offices of the IHH in the southern city of Kilis, which borders Syria, and detained one person.

“Recent reports of the Turkish military intercepting an alleged IHH weapons truck on the Syrian border was an indication that the flotilla charity was being targeted,” Jonathan Schanzer, vice president for research at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, told The Jerusalem Post at the time.

“There has long been ample reason to believe the group was tied to Hamas, al-Qaida, and other terror groups in Syria,” he said.

The coalition-led air strikes have failed so far to stop the advance of IS fighters on Syria’s Kurdish town of Kobani near the border with Turkey which the group has sieged from three sides, triggering an exodus of more than 150,000 refugees and sending mortar shells inside Turkish territory.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


On Saturday, the US-led coalition bombed Islamic State positions around the town, a move that was welcomed by Asya Abdullah, a senior official in Syria’s dominant Kurdish political party the Democratic Union Party (PYD).

“We are ready to establish a dialogue with anyone fighting IS, including opposition forces in Syria, such as the Free Syrian Army,” she told Reuters via phone, from Kobani. “Turkey should arm the PYD... These IS gangs will one day cause great harm to Turkey. Kobani is right at the border, if these gangs enter Kobani nothing will stop them from going to Turkey next.”

About 300-400 Syrian Kurds crossed back into Syria on Sunday from Turkey to help fight against IS, a soldier on the border told Reuters, adding that Turkish authorities were not allowing any Turkish Kurds to go to Kobani.

Several hundred Kurds were waiting at Mursitpinar, on the Turkish side of the border, in the hope of being allowed to fight alongside their people in Syria, a Reuters witness said.

“IS is evil, of course we want to go and fight,” Mustafa Durdu, a Turkish Kurd who has not been permitted to leave Turkey by Turkish authorities.

“Our brothers are there,” he said, pointing to Kobani.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

 From nuclear center, Netanyahu warns those threatening to destroy Israel (August 30, 2018).
September 20, 2018
Israel nuclear chief: We are upgrading defenses at Dimona reactor

By YVETTE J. DEANE