IHH threatening again to send flotilla to Gaza

The same organization that launched the 'Mavi Marmara' in 2010 says it will make second attempt to break Israeli blockade on the Strip.

By
August 11, 2014 20:41
2 minute read.
mavi marmara

Mavi Marmara, 2010. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Turkish Humanitarian Relief Foundation (IHH), which tried to send the Mavi Marmara in 2010 to break Israel’s blockade of Gaza, said Monday it would send another flotilla to challenge the blockade.

The organization – which Israel banned in 2008 because of its links to Hamas and then placed on its terrorist watch list in 2010 – said in an e-mailed statement that members of a “coalition” of pro-Palestinian activists from 12 countries had met in Istanbul over the weekend and decided to launch a convoy “in the shadow of the latest Israeli aggression on Gaza.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“The Freedom Flotilla Coalition affirmed that, as most governments are complicit, the responsibility falls on civil society to challenge the Israeli blockade on Gaza,” it said.

An IHH spokeswoman did not elaborate. The group is to hold a news conference on Tuesday, she said.

A Foreign Ministry spokesman did not respond to the statement, saying there was no reason for Israel to react to every IHH statement. Two weeks ago the organization said it would send a flotilla that would be protected by the Turkish navy, something that, so far, has not materialized.

IHH chairman Bulent Yildrim was quoted at the time as saying the flotilla would set sail as soon as it received the necessary permit from the authorities in Ankara.

Jerusalem had been waiting eagerly for the Turkish presidential elections that were held on Sunday and won by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be over, hoping that the end of the campaign would also put an end to Erdogan’s virulently anti-Israel and anti-Semitic comments.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The sense in Jerusalem was that Erdogan made these comments – such as that Israel was committing genocide and was worse than Hitler – because they played well on the Turkish street and were for electioneering purposes.

Israel hopes that now that the elections are over, it may be possible to calm the situation down and – as one official phrased it – return to the “normal unpleasant relationship” with Turkey. Turkish permission for the ship to set sail, or any type of protection given to the flotilla, would set back any attempts to forge a constructive working diplomatic relationship with Erdogan’s Turkey.

Nine Turks were killed on the Mavi Marmara in 2010 after IDF commandos, who boarded the ship to keep it from breaking the blockade, were attacked by those on board.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A general view of the attack during the military parade in Ahvaz, Iran, 2018
September 24, 2018
Iran warns U.S. and Israel of revenge after deadly parade attack

By REUTERS