Turkish forces kill lone ferry hijacker, hostages safe

Assailant armed with explosives had taken control of ferry carrying 20 people; all passengers rescued after 12 hour siege; PKK suspected.

November 12, 2011 07:06
2 minute read.
Passengers disembark from the hijacked "Kartepe"

Turkish hijacked ferry 311. (photo credit: Reuters)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ISTANBUL - Turkish security forces killed a lone hijacker, believed to be a Kurdish militant, in a pre-dawn operation on Saturday to rescue more than 20 passengers held hostage for 12 hours on a ferry in northwest Turkey.

The decision was taken to carry out a joint security forces operation at 5:35 a.m. (0335 GMT), Istanbul Governor Huseyin Avni Mutlu told reporters.


Suicide bomber attacks paramilitary building in Turkey
Female suicide bomber kills 3, wounds 20 in SE Turkey

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

"Shortly after the start of the operation, the vessel was boarded and the assailant was killed," Mutlu said.

"It was clear that the assailant was a terror group member," he said. He was between 28 and 30 years old and was carrying a device with a button and cables which bomb disposal experts were analyzing, Mutlu said.

Earlier reports said up to five suspected Kurdish militants armed with explosives carried out the hijacking on the high-speed 'Kartepe' ferry.

On Friday night, Turkish commandos on coastguard vessels tracked the "sea bus" in the Sea of Marmara before it ran low on fuel and had to anchor west of Istanbul. The ferry had been on a short run between the towns of Izmit and Karamursel.

Friends and relatives had waited for news at the two ports, while fuel tankers had headed for the area where the vessel was anchored, according to media reports.

Transport Minister Binali Yildirim had told reporters in the capital Ankara that the hijacker had not made any concrete demands and had only sought fuel, food and drink.

Shortly before 5:00 a.m. (0300 GMT) a flurry of activity was evident on the ferry's main deck. Hazy television pictures showed figures moving in the aisle between rows of empty seats. A few people were apparently wearing life jackets.

Ambulances and police teams had been waiting on the nearby shore.

"There is information that they are from a wing of the terror organization," Yildirim said, referring to the militant Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) which is fighting for Kurdish autonomy in the southeast of the country.

A hijacking would represent a change in tactics for the PKK which frequently carries out attacks on security forces in the mainly Kurdish southeast. Kurdish, leftist and Islamic militants are all active in Turkey.

More than 40,000 people have been killed in the PKK insurgency since the group took up arms in 1984.

There was no immediate comment from the PKK.

Related Content

August 17, 2018
German Jewish council urges end of Iran-Germany trade