US commander says al-Zarqawi likely still alive

By
November 22, 2005 21:33
1 minute read.

A top US commander in Iraq said Tuesday he has "absolutely no reason" to believe the leader of al-Qaida in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, died in a weekend raid in Mosul. Lt. Gen. John Vines, chief of the Multi-National Corps Iraq, also confirmed that US officials have the ability to determine if al-Zarqawi was there. "I am told that there is a DNA database of some of his relatives that is able to be compared against some of those who were killed there," Vines told reporters. "If he had been in one of those houses that were part of the objective, we could confirm that." Iraq's foreign minister has said that tests were being done to determine if al-Zarqawi was one of those killed.


Related Content

Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad gestures during a news conference in Damascus, Syria
May 23, 2018
Syria says Iranian withdrawal not up for discussion

By REUTERS