Zarif lashes out at those making military threats against Iran despite nuclear deal

Iranian FM's comments come a day after US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter says deal does not take military option off the table.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
July 20, 2015 14:21
1 minute read.
Mohammad Javad Zarif

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif. (photo credit: ATTA KENARE / AFP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Monday lashed out at those making military threats against his country despite last week's signing of a diplomatic accord to address concerns over Tehran's nuclear program.

In comments made to Iran's official IRNA news agency, Zarif criticized "people discussing the use of illegal force to achieve their aims,"  despite the signing of the nuclear deal which he called, "a victory for diplomacy over violence and war."

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Zarif's comments came a day after US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter was quoted by AFP as saying Sunday ahead of a trip to Israel that the nuclear deal signed with Iran was good because "it does nothing to prevent the military option."

Carter, who met Monday with Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon in Tel Aviv, said ahead of setting out for the Jewish State that the US is "continually improving" the military option in the event that Iran should violate the terms of the nuclear deal.
US Defence Secretary Carter meets Israeli counterpart Ya'alon

The US secretary of defense is set to meet with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu who has been an outspoken critic of the Iran deal, saying that Israel was not obligated to conform to the agreement and warning that Israel would do everything possible to defend itself.

Zarif on Monday did not mention the US or Israel specifically in comments to IRNA on Monday, but he seemed to be directing his comments towards Washington and Jerusalem.
Khamenei: Deal or no deal, Iran won't stop opposing US, supporting people of Palestine

"It seems that these people cannot understand that the use of force to violate the rights of others is not an option, but a dangerous and foolish temptation that is usually raised by those who lack the capacity for diplomacy," IRNA quoted him as saying.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Iranians shout slogans during a protest in Tehran, Iran, against President Donald Trump
November 20, 2018
Ex-CIA Director Hayden to 'Post': Iran looking to outlast Donald Trump

By YONAH JEREMY BOB