50-yr-old Bnei Brak man sentenced to 15 years jail for sexually assaulting 8-yr-old girl in bomb-shelter

"Haven of safety" became place full of "fear, anxiety," court says in its ruling; says danger of man repeating actions.

December 11, 2013 18:32
1 minute read.
Bomb shelter in Beersheba

Bomb Shelter (empty) 370. (photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem/The Jerusalem Post)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Tel Aviv District Court sentenced a 50-year-old man to 15 years in prison, on Wednesday, for sexually assaulting an eight-year-old girl.

Ushar Argaman of Bnei Brak, who perpetrated the assault in January 2012, was also fined NIS 50,000.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The girl’s name is under a gag-order mandated by the court.

Argaman intercepted the girl as she was leaving her residence, but while she was still in its general vicinity.

He offered to help her on her way to school, which she initially refused.

Argaman persisted until she relented and then, as the two were walking past the residence’s bomb-shelter, he pushed her into the bomb-shelter.

Next, he forced her down on a moldy mattress in the shelter, removed her clothing and sexually assaulted her.

The girl attempted to scream, but Argaman warned her that if she screamed he would assault her for longer and also injure her.

The sexual assault caused the girl a number of injuries throughout her body.

In handing down what it considered a relatively harsh sentence in the spectrum of sentences for sexual assaults, the court said it gave “serious consideration to the age of the minor – a girl of only eight years – the location of the event – around her residence, which was supposed to be a haven of security for her – and the dark and damp scene of the crime, which also increased the fear and anxiety that filled the girl.”

The court noted that Argaman “failed to take responsibility for his actions.” It also noted that there is “a real danger of him repeating his actions.”

Brushing off evidence brought about Argaman’s difficult life and circumstances, the court said no circumstances justified such a “brutal” act of violence against such a young victim.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night