Boy, 4, still in critical condition after near-drowning

Liam Pa’ar fighting for his life after Shavuot incident at Kibbutz Ramat Rahel.

June 10, 2011 03:31
1 minute read.
The Jerusalem Pool (Liat Collins).

Jerusalem pool 58. (photo credit: Liat Collins)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A four-year-old boy who nearly drowned in a pool at Kibbutz Ramat Rahel outside Jerusalem during the Shavuot holiday is still fighting for his life and remains in critical condition.

A spokeswoman for Shaare Zedek Hospital said the boy, Liam Pa’ar, was in intensive pediatric care, ventilated and in a medically-induced coma. His father, Roei, told the Hebrew media his family was “waiting and praying” that his son would recover.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Roei Pa’ar, who was home at the time of the incident, said it was still unclear what had happened in the moments after Liam fell into the pool and allegedly hit his head.

At the moment, he said, he was concentrating on his son and allowing the police to do their work.

Four people from the pool staff – two lifeguards, the pool director and an administrator – were questioned on suspicion of negligence. They were released later Wednesday evening although the investigation is continuing.

Jerusalem police spokesman Shmuel Ben- Ruby said it was still too early to determine if negligence by the lifeguards contributed to the incident.

The Ramat Rahel pool will remain closed for the next three days, at which time police will reevaluate whether to allow it to reopen. They were still waiting to take testimony from the boy’s mother, who has been at the hospital with her son, and believe that her account will shed greater light on what took place.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night