'Core workers exposed to year's radiation in day'

Former Sorek nuclear worker Dr. Byrne gives testimony, says state should have settled instead of going to court.

December 7, 2011 19:33
1 minute read.
Dimona nuclear reactor

311_dimona reactor. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Dr. Thelma Byrne, former head of safety at the Sorek nuclear research center, said Wednesday that the amount of nuclear radiation workers were exposed to was significantly more than today’s legal limit.

“Dimona workers were exposed to more radiation in a day than the safe limit for a year,” she said in her witness testimony Thursday.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Analysis: Israel's Iran strategy- bombs? bluff?

Nuclear workers are engaged in a long compensation battle against the state after being exposed to what they claim were unsafe levels of radiation while working in Dimona and Nahal Sorek. Of the 44 workers that filed the suit in the mid- ’90s, nearly half have died of cancer.

Byrne said, “We were constantly being contaminated, and they didn’t tell us what we were being exposed to. There was no such thing as nuclear core safety. Safety concerns were insignificant.” She also claimed that witnesses were being harassed by government officials.

Following her first testimony approximately two months ago, Byrne claimed that a government official “called me, accused me of violating censorship laws, and threatened to take me to court. I don’t think this should have made it to court,” she said, “this should have been solved in a settlement deal, a compromise for the ’60s, ’70s, and ’80s generations that worked

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night