Court sets hearing after Histadrut strike call

Histadrut tells National Labor Court negotiations with Treasury have reached dead end; says without threat of strike, talks will be "dragged out."

By NADAV SHEMER,
December 25, 2011 15:51
1 minute read.
Histadrut Labor Federation chairman Ofer Eini

Ofer Eini 311. (photo credit: Channel 10)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Histadrut labor federation launched a fresh bid on Sunday to hold a general strike over the employment status of contract workers, telling the National Labor Court that negotiations between it and the Treasury had reached a dead end.

Following a meeting between National Labor Court president Judge Nili Arad and representatives of the Histadrut, Treasury, Federation of Israeli Economic Organizations and Union of Local Authorities to assess the labor federation’s request, the court decided to schedule a hearing on January 8, 2012, over the Histadrut’s request to strike. In the meantime, Judge Arad asked the parties to file their written arguments to the court.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Histadrut's request to strike refused

During Sunday’s meeting, which took place in Arad’s chambers, the Histadrut told the National Labor Court that there was “no other option than organized means” to end the conflict.

“We have arrived at the moment of decision,” Histadrut chairman Ofer Eini said in a statement sent to the press earlier on Sunday.

“We said two weeks ago that only under threat of strike would negotiations progress… Without the threat of a strike, the Finance Ministry and employers can drag these negotiations out for a long time.”

The National Labor Court first ordered the sides to conduct negotiations over the status of contract workers after allowing the Histadrut to hold a four-hour strike on November 7. The Histadrut threatened the strike after the October release of the Trajtenberg Report on Socioeconomic Change, which it said legitimized continued public-sector contracting.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The Histadrut is demanding that the number of contract workers be reduced by moving some of them to direct employment.

The Treasury has offered to improve the labor conditions of contract workers, but rejects discontinuing the use of cleaning and security contract companies altogether.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD