Firefighters rescue toddler from Ashdod apartment

Police investigating Eritrean migrant couple for allegedly leaving baby alone; 4 year-old lightly injured from smoke inhalation.

January 31, 2012 11:47
Fire fighters.

fire fighters 521. (photo credit: Courtesy of EVP)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Police in Ashdod questioned the parents of a four-year-old boy rescued from a burning apartment in Ashdod on Tuesday.

The child was left alone when the fire broke out, police said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The parents, migrants from Eritrea, were questioned at an Ashdod police station on suspicion of negligence. Earlier, police said an alert neighbor saw smoke rising from the apartment and heard the boy’s cries. He contacted emergency services, before breaking down the apartment’s door and attempting a rescue. Firefighters and police rushed to the scene and evacuated both the child and the neighbor. The boy sustained light injuries from smoke inhalation, firefighters said. The home was heavily damaged in the blaze.

Fireman Doron Padvoda told Channel 2 News that he found the child in his bedroom. Padvoda placed his oxygen mask over the boy and evacuated him.

“Without the bravery and assistance of the neighbor, the incident could have ended differently,” the firefighter said.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night