For second time in less than a week, Israeli sets self on fire in Tel Aviv area

Woman who sets self on fire in Or Yehuda remains in serious condition; police have not determined what drove her to act.

November 23, 2013 16:47
1 minute read.
Moshe Silman, who set hemself afire in Tel Aviv.

Self-immolator Tel Aviv fire protester Moshe Silman 390. (photo credit: Asaf Kliger)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A 34-year-old woman remains in serious condition in Sheba Medical Center in Tel Hashomer on Saturday, a day after she set herself on fire in Or Yehuda.

The woman is the second Israeli in less than a week to set themselves on fire.

Tel Aviv police said Saturday that around 3:30 pm on Friday the woman doused herself with flammable liquid and set herself alight in an open area off Highway 412 in Or Yehuda. She was taken from the scene to Sheba Medical Center, where she remains in serious condition.

Police said they still have not determined what drove the woman to try to take her own life.

On Sunday, a Tel Aviv man died after he set himself on fire off Derech Hatayasim in south Tel Aviv. The man, later named as a 43-year-old Kfar Shalem resident, had reportedly fallen into difficult economic straits before he decided to take his own life.

That incident came less than a month after a 55- year-old father of two was hospitalized in critical condition after he poured a bucket of gasoline on his body and set himself alight on Yisrael M’salant street in south Tel Aviv, across the street from the junkyard where he worked and lived.

The man tried to take his life after he became embroiled in debt to the gray market and became involved in a dispute with his landlord over outstanding debt.

Israel has experienced a string of such attempts, both successful and failed since July 14, 2012, when Haifa native Moshe Silman set himself on fire at a social justice protest in Tel Aviv, after passing out copies of a manifesto detailing his economic and health problems. He died the day after.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night


Cookie Settings