Hiker dies in Galilee after being hit in the head by a falling rock

Magen David Adom and a military helicopter rush hiker to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

March 29, 2014 15:45
Hiker killed by falling stone

Hiker killed by falling stone. (photo credit: MAGEN DAVID ADOM)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


An MDA medical crew rushed to save a man who was injured in the head by a rock while hiking at the Gita Cliffs, Carmiel. Paramedics and rescue personnel used 4X4 vehicles to reach the hiker who was hiking in difficult terrain.

Witnesses said that the rock fell on the hiker's head while he was attempting to climb up a cliff.

The 31-year-old was found in critical condition.

MDA paramedic Adrian Ocampo, who treated the injured man said, "This is a mountainous area with difficult terrain and our call center additionally dispatched a military helicopter. We arrived with an ambulance with special 4X4 capabilities to come up to 100 meters from where the injured man lay. When we arrived we found the trail and a man, about 30, lying on the ground with people around him who were attempting resuscitation. We began to give him medical treatment including drugs and resuscitation...an IDF medical staff arrived with the helicopter." 

He was flown by helicopter to Rambam Medical Center where, after resuscitation he was pronounced dead.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night