Homeless man attempts suicide in police station following detainment

Man being questioned for assault against another homeless person Friday is in serious condition after attempting to hang self in police station bathroom.

May 31, 2014 20:42

Noose 311. (photo credit: REUTERS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A homeless Jerusalem man remains in serious condition Saturday at an area hospital after attempting to hang himself shortly after being detained and questioned by police Friday for allegedly assaulting another homeless man.

Although police have released few details of the assault and attempted suicide, an official said Saturday that the unidentified man, described as being in his 50s, excused himself during extensive questioning to use a nearby bathroom.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

When the man did not return several minutes later, police forced open the door to find him unconscious, hanging with a makeshift noose, the official said.

After being released, the man was rushed by Magen David Adom personnel to Shaare Zedek Medical Center, where he remains under observation, police said.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night