Man breaks into Bnei Brak military arms factory

Police arrest man suspected of breaking into a factory owned by defense firm Elbit Systems, attacking female security guard.

December 17, 2012 13:16
1 minute read.
Suspect arrested [illustrative]

arrest 311 R. (photo credit: REUTERS/Eric Gaillard )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Police arrested a man yesterday who broke into the grounds of a factory in the Bnei Brak industrial district and made off with the security guard’s pistol after a short struggle, police reported on Monday.

The incident happened at a factory run by Elisra Electronic Systems, which manufacturers high-tech electronic devices, including missile tracking and radar equipment, and is owned by Israeli defense firm Elbit Systems Ltd.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

There was one female security guard on duty when the assailant allegedly scaled the short metal fence outside. The assailant, who police said was brandishing a toy gun, fought with the guard for around 40 seconds before he managed to flee with her pistol.

The woman, who was lightly injured in the struggle, called police, who deployed YASSAM special patrol units, as well as anti-terror unit officers, mounted police and a helicopter supplied by the Israel Air Force to find the assailant.

The man was later spotted hiding in the bushes outside the Ayalon Mall and after a short chase was arrested by YASSAM officers, Dan Sub-District Police Commander Albert Ohayon said at the scene of the robbery on Monday.

Ohayon said that the suspect suffered a light injury to his hand during the struggle with the security guard and was taken for treatment at Ichilov Hospital at Sourasky Medical Center. He was later discharged and is currently being questioned, Ohayon added.

Ohayon said that police have so far ruled out terrorism as a motive of the robbery, despite the sensitive nature of the facility. He confirmed that the suspect, a 44- year-old resident of the Beduin village of Ibtin in the Zvulun Region, served a long sentence in an Israeli prison in the past, but would not confirm for how long or for what offense.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night