Police: Organized crime figures placed grenade outside Beitar owners house as extortion attempt

October incident came after Tabib did not pay extortionists linked to well known crime organization in central Israel, police reveal.

December 9, 2013 19:51
1 minute read.

ELI TABIB 370. (photo credit: Adi Avishai)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Organized crime figures placed a grenade outside Beitar Jerusalem FC owner Eli Tabib’s house in October, as part of an effort to extort hundreds of thousands of dollars from him, police reported on Monday.

Superintendent Rona Morad-Fingelay of the Yarkon sub-district told The Jerusalem Post on Monday that the fragmentation grenade that had been stuck to the front gate of Tabib’s house in Kfar Shmaryahu was supposed to explode when he opened the gate, and only a technical malfunction prevented an explosion.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

She said that police are not able to disclose which criminals placed the grenade because the investigation is ongoing, but that they are members of a very well known organization in central Israel.

Morad-Fingelay, who also led the investigation of the repeated bombings of the Tiv Taam on Ibn Gvirol in Tel Aviv earlier this year, said that Tabib did not pay the extortionists, who started to demand money not long after he became the owner of Beitar.

Shortly after the grenade was discovered, there was speculation that it was possibly connected to football, with some thinking it could be connected to supporters of Hapoel Tel Aviv FC, the Beitar rival that Tabib previously own.

A few weeks after the incident at Tabib’s house, a car bomb in Rishpon north of Herzliya detonated inside a vehicle belonging to a businessman, and Hapoel Tel Aviv FC supporter, Dani Wolfert.

No arrests have been made in that incident.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night