Knife-wielding Arab man arrested at Mahaneh Yehuda market

Police detain 10 Muslims for rioting atop Temple Mount; light rail service resumes in east Jerusalem following destruction of multiple stations in rioting.

July 13, 2014 17:56
1 minute read.
Temple Mount

Temple Mount. (photo credit: REUTERS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Tensions continued to pervade the capital Sunday morning, as 10 Arabs were arrested for rioting on the Temple Mount, outbursts of violence continued in east Jerusalem, and a knife-wielding Arab man was arrested near the city’s bustling Mahane Yehuda Market.

According to police, the violence began on the Temple Mount when officers opened Mughrabi Gate for visitors at 7:30 a.m.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

“Hundreds of suspects began throwing rocks and firecrackers at officers, lightly injuring two officers,” said Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld shortly after the riot.

The officers were treated at an area hospital, and at least 10 suspects were placed under arrest, he said.

A few hours later, a knife-wielding Arab man was detained by police at a light rail station near Jerusalem’s Mahane Yehuda Market after attempting to stab an officer during questioning.

The unidentified man raised the police's suspicion as he exited the light rail station adjacent to the market. Seconds after being questioned by an officer, the suspect lunged at him with a large utility knife.

The officer promptly wrestled the suspect to the ground and disarmed him before backup units arrived and he was placed under arrest. No one was injured during the attack, police said.

Rosenfeld added that extra police units have been sent to east Jerusalem neighborhoods, including Shuafat, where rioting lasted for days after the murder of Muhammad Abu Khdeir.

“Police units are on heightened alert throughout the city to ensure safety as Operation Protective Edge continues,” he said.  

Meanwhile, according to Citipass, Jerusalem light rail service has been restored from Har Herzl to Pisgat Ze’ev, including through Shuafat, following the destruction of two stations there and in Beit Hanina following rioting last week.

The stops in Shuafat and Beit Hanina will take millions of shekels and weeks, if not months, to repair, after being incinerated by Molotov cocktails and violence, Citipass said. 

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night