Police shoot woman at Western Wall who fails to heed warnings to stop

35-year-old Jewish woman failed to heed warning shots; taken to hospital with light injuries.

July 30, 2014 20:46
1 minute read.
Security cameras at the Western Wall (Kotel)

Kotel (Western Wall) security cameras 311. (photo credit: Daniel Cohen)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A 35-year-old woman draped in blankets, who repeatedly refused to identify herself to Western Wall security guards as she continued walking toward a checkpoint, was shot in the leg on Wednesday night when she refused to stop after a warning shot was fired.

At approximately 8:30 p.m., security guards became suspicious of the unidentified Jewish woman as she approached them, and asked her to stop and identify herself, police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

“She ignored their orders and continued walking toward them,” he said. “When she refused a second time to stop and identify herself, a warning shot was fired, and she still did not stop. At this point officers suspected a more serious incident, and shot her in the leg.”

The 35-year-old suspect was treated within minutes by Magen David Adom paramedics for a non-life-threatening wound, and was transferred to Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem in light-to-moderate condition, he said.

The officer involved followed police protocol, Rosenfeld said.

“She behaved suspiciously, and according to procedure he fired a warning shot in the air, and because she did not stop it was necessary to open fire to stop her,” he said. “We are looking into the incident to try to determine why she was wearing blankets and refused to stop.”

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night