Police suspect murder, suicide in Netanya

Eritrean foreign worker allegedly stabs niece to death then commits suicide; Kalansawe: 1 killed, 1 injured in shooting.

March 3, 2012 11:05
1 minute read.
[illustrative photo]

Police car in Tel Aviv at night 311. (photo credit: Yoni Cohen)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


An Eritrean national in Netanya stabbed his niece to death and then proceeded to commit suicide by stabbing himself on Saturday, police suspect.

Police arrived at an apartment on Ehad Ha'am Street in the city on Saturday morning after neighbors complained that they heard shouting.

Police forced their way into the apartment and discovered the two bodies on the floor.

Magen David Adom paramedics who arrived at the scene pronounced the woman dead on arrival, while the man was described as being in critical condition with stab wounds to his body. The paramedics began treating the man but he later died of his injuries at the apartment.

Police opened an investigation into the circumstances of the incident.

In a separate incident, a 22-year-old man was killed Friday evening in a shooting in Kalansawe in the Sharon region.

Unknown assailants shot the man from a passing vehicle, and fled the scene.

Another boy, aged approximately 15, was moderately injured in the same shooting. He was together with the man who died, and police suspect that the two were shot from a car that was following them, and that the attackers opened fire at medium range. The boy managed to leap to the floor, thereby saving his life. The killers seemingly believed him to be critically injured and therefore did not proceed to shoot at him anymore.

MDA staff arrived at the scene and pronounced the 22-year-old dead. The second casualty was taken to Kfar Saba's Meir Medical Center, where he received medical treatment. Police sent security forces to guard the hospital, for fear that the perpetrators might try to harm the youth while there.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night


Cookie Settings