Second man accused in Itamar massacre on trial

Court postpones verdict in the murder trial of Amjad Awad, one of two men accused of murdering five members of the Fogel family in March.

By
August 16, 2011 19:59
2 minute read.
Hakem and Amjad Awwad

Suspects in Fogel, Itamar massacre_311. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Amjad Awad, the second man accused of murdering five members of the Fogel family in Itamar in March attended a hearing Tuesday at the Samaria Military Court in Salem.

Although the court was meant to rule on the case today, the judge has postponed the verdict until September at the request of Awad’s lawyer – who has refused to reveal his identity for fear of retaliation.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
IDF: 2 Palestinians arrested in Fogel family massacre
Abbas ‘impatient’ to know who carried out Itamar killings

Earlier this month, the Samaria Military Court convicted 18-year-old Hakim Awad for the murder of the five members of the Fogel family – three children aged between 3 months and 11 years, and their parents, Ehud and Ruth.

Although Hakim confessed to the murders, Judge Lt.-Col. Menahem Lieberman had nevertheless decided to examine detailed evidence gathered by the prosecution, including forensic findings, in order to rule out that the 18-year-old had lied about his part in the crime for “glory.”

Hakim was also convicted of weapons offenses and various other security offenses. He is expected to be sentenced in September, and the prosecution has stated it’s not seeking the death penalty.

The two youths are being tried separately because they have testified against each other.



According to Channel 2, 17-year-old Awad smiled in court and said he did not regret murdering them and that he would do the same again. However, his father told the court that his son was a good student and it is doubtful that he was one of the killers.

According to the IDF, Awad has already admitted all the charges against him in the indictment sheet.

The two youths were arrested in April following an intensive and large-scale investigation by the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency), the IDF’s elite Duvdevan Unit and forensic officers from the police’s Special Intelligence Branch.

Although the youths carried out the attack on their own initiative, they are affiliated with the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine terror group, and received significant assistance from family members and friends after the attack, the IDF said.

Days after the massacre, the Public Diplomacy and Diaspora Affairs Ministry released graphic photographs of the murdered members of the Fogel family in an attempt to show the international community the scale of the attack.

Yaakov Lappin contributed to this report.

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD