State indicts minor for alleged stabbing murder of Naor Atias

Suspect allegedly stabbed Atias to death in mid-November during an altercation.

January 16, 2014 17:16
1 minute read.

Gavel from Reuters 370. (photo credit: REUTERS/Chip East)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Central District Attorney’s Office filed an indictment with the Lod District Court against a minor on Thursday, for the murder of 16-year-old Naor Atias in a public garden area in Petah Tikva.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The 17-year-old, identified only as A., because of his status as a minor, allegedly stabbed Atias to death in early January during an altercation between Atias, Atias’ friends and A., and A.’s friends.

Two other minors, both 16 and identified only as B. and C., were also indicted, though for the lesser crime of aggravated and intentional causing of bodily injury.

The indictment said that B. was in a fight with his girlfriend in a public area when Atias and some friends of Atias interrupted the fight to calm B. down, not knowing that he was connected with the girl.

This interruption initially caused a minor altercation between Atias, his friends and B., but the two sides eventually calmed down and agreed to go their separate ways.

Shortly thereafter, B. called A. and asked him to bring other friends, including C., to re-confront Atias and his friends.

A second confrontation ensued, and after Atias and his friends fled, ended with A. stabbing Atias in his heart and stomach, while B. and C. beat Atias and Atias’ friend with poles.

Atias died of his wounds.

The prosecution requested that the defendants be held in police custody until the end of the proceedings.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night