Suspect linked to murder via bullets found in dog

Homicide detectives in Rishon Lezion investigating deadly shooting link suspect to murder through bullets lodged in an injured dog.

July 2, 2012 01:03
1 minute read.
Police at Tel Aviv Central Bus Station

Police at Tel Aviv Central Bus Station 370. (photo credit: Ricardo Mallaco)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Homicide detectives in Rishon Lezion investigating a deadly shooting linked a suspect to the murder through bullets lodged in an injured dog.

On May 23, Uzi Levi, a resident of Rishon Lezion’s Ramat Eliyahu neighborhood, was shot dead at the entrance to his caravan home with a nine millimeter handgun. There were no eyewitnesses or available forensic evidence for police to work with.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

A special investigations team formed by the Shfela police subdistrict focused on a suspect named Shmuel Atias, who had been involved in a dispute with Levi, but was unable to locate him for nearly a week as he had fled the area.

Atias, who has a criminal record involving drugs, violent offenses and property crimes, turned himself in to police five days after the murder, but denied any connection to the shooting.

Police then employed an agent to sit with the suspect in a holding cell. The two spoke for four days, according to the indictment, and Atias allegedly confessed to the shooting, as well as providing details on the dispute that led up to it.

During the conversations with the undercover agent, Atias allegedly mentioned shooting the victim’s dog that had run up to the scene after Levi was shot. This revelation surprised among the homicide detectives, who were unaware of the dog’s involvement.

Police located the animal and had it undergo surgery, during which bullets were indeed found and removed from its body.


Prosecutors charged Atias with murder on Sunday at the Petah Tikva Magistrate’s Court.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night