Palestinian negotiator in Cairo slams Israel for leaking reports of truce extension

Azzam al-Ahmad, a Palestinian Authority official, said that “all the reports of an extension of the cease-fire are based on Israeli sources."

By YASSER OKBI/ MAARIV HASHAVUA,
August 7, 2014 12:31
1 minute read.
Azzam al-Ahmad and Ismail Haniyeh.

Fatah official Azzam al-Ahmad (L) and Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh.. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The head of the Palestinian delegation to cease-fire talks in Cairo said on Thursday that no agreement has been reached over extending the three-day old truce in Gaza.

Azzam al-Ahmad, a Palestinian Authority official, said  “all the reports of an extension of the cease-fire are based on Israeli sources, which means there is no agreement on the extension of a cease-fire.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Al-Ahmad accused the Israeli government of seeking to sabotage the talks by leaking reports about a cease-fire extension.

“The goal of these reports is to sabotage the talks taking place between the Palestinian team and Egypt,” he said. “There is no truce agreement beyond the original 72 hours. We have until Friday morning to negotiate.”

Ismail Haniyeh, the deputy head of the Hamas political bureau, said earlier on Thursday that there is no extension of the cease-fire.

Hamas warned Wednesday that it would resume its attacks on Israel unless Jerusalem accepts all Palestinian demands, first and foremost the lifting of the siege and release of prisoners who were rearrested in the West Bank.

The warning came as representatives of the two groups held additional talks in Cairo with Egyptian officials on ways of solidifying the 72-hour cease-fire, which began Tuesday morning.



Osama Hamdan, a senior Hamas official, said the Palestinian delegation to the Cairo discussions, which also consisted of representatives of Fatah and other Palestinian factions, claimed that the US was exerting pressure on the Palestinians to agree to the extension of the cease-fire “in order to save Israel’s reputation.”

Hamdan told the Al Jazeera TV network that the “options of the Palestinian resistance groups are open if there is no progress” in the talks.

He said the Palestinian groups have sent a message to Israel that “our finger is still on the trigger” if the Palestinian demands are not met.

“Our rockets are still ready to hit all areas [inside Israel],” he added.

According to senior official Musa Abu Marzouk, "There is no agreement to extend the 72-hour cease-fire.

Related Content

Abu Ubaida
August 28, 2014
Media are Hamas’s main strategic weapons, says visiting US historian

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL