Police say safe for southern residents to leave home following brief security scare.

Police closed roads in the Negev due to a suspected security incident; earlier on Thursday terrorists trying to infiltrate through tunnels thwarted.

July 17, 2014 17:30
1 minute read.
Security forces

Security forces blocking off a roadway in southern Israel.. (photo credit: ISRAEL POLICE)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Police closed a number of major roads in southern Israel on Thursday afternoon due to a suspected security incident in the area. They had told southern Israel residents to stay in their houses.

On Thursday evening, Police took down the security alert, re-opening roadways and telling residents that it is safe to leave their homes.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Eastbound Highway 25 lanes around Beersheba were closed, Highway 241 from the entrance of Ofakim northwards was closed, and highway 40 in the Dimona area was closed from the Mashabim junction eastwards. 

The road closures came amid heavy projectile fire on the communities surrounding the Gaza Strip following the end of a five-hour UN humanitarian cease-fire. Palestinian media reported that the IDF had also resumed striking targets in the Gaza Strip.

Earlier on Thursday, IDF forces foiled an attempt by Hamas terrorists to infiltrate a kibbutz near the Gaza frontier through an underground tunnel before dawn.

Soldiers manning the border area identified 13 terrorists who crossed into Israeli territory near Kibbutz Sufa through a tunnel that was dug in the southern Gaza Strip.

The army said that the troops "neutralized the threat." There was no exact number of casualties in the gunfire, though it was confirmed that no Israeli troops suffered injuries.

The army said it held Hamas responsible for the attempted attack.

Related Content

Abu Ubaida
August 28, 2014
Media are Hamas’s main strategic weapons, says visiting US historian