Local Soccer: Kfar Saba shocks Hapoel Petah Tikva

March 18, 2009 07:44
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

National League side Hapoel Kfar Saba recorded the biggest shock of the round of 16 of the State Cup on Tuesday, defeating Hapoel Petah Tikva 2-1 on the road thanks to Maoz Samiya's 90th minute goal. Shimon Abuhatzira gave Petah Tikva the lead in the 10th minute, but Elnatan Salami was brought down in the box in the 14th minute and Amar Mantzur converted the spot kick to tie the score. Just when the match seemed to be destined to be going into extra-time, Samiya took advantage of Petah Tikva's poor defending and headed in the winner. "I think the team which wanted it more won tonight," Kfar Saba coach Slobodan Drapic said. "This was the kind of match in which you can't afford to make mistakes and therefore we don't deserve to advance," Petah Tikva coach Eli Mahpud said. Also Tuesday, Ashdod SC, Hakoach Amidar Ramat Gan and Ahi Nazareth all went through to the quarterfinals. Ashdod played poorly against an inferior Ironi Kiryat Ata team, but avoided embarrassment and won 1-0 thanks to Idan Shirki's 80th minute goal. Kiryat Ata may be bottom of the National league, but Asi Avrahami gave the hosts the lead in the 25th minute. However Hakoach took advantage of some poor marking, with Joseph Nwafor equalizing in the 49th minute and Barak Badash heading in the winner three minutes from time. National League club Ahi Nazareth needed extra-time to defeat third-division Hapoel Ashkelon 4-2. A Nazareth injury time equalizer forced another 30 minutes, and extra-time was dominated by the hosts, who ensured there would be two National League teams in the draw for the quarterfinals, which will be held at Israel Football Association headquarters in Ramat Gan on Thursday evening. On Wednesday, Bnei Yehuda hosts Bnei Sakhnin in the final match of the round of 16. Maccabi Netanya, Betar Jerusalem and Maccabi Haifa advanced to the last eight last week.

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov