Man United storms into Champions League final

Teams records a convincing 3-1 victory over Arsenal in London.

May 6, 2009 03:20
1 minute read.
Man United storms into Champions League final

manchester united 88. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Manchester United advanced to its second straight Champions League final on Tuesday night, recording a convincing 3-1 victory over Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium in London. United entered the match with a 1-0 cushion from the first leg at Old Trafford last week, and scored twice within the first 11 minutes of the match to open a significant lead from which Arsenal could not return. Ji-Sung Park made the most of an Arsenal defensive lapse in the eighth minute to give the visitors the lead and three minutes later Cristiano Ronaldo blasted a superb free-kick beyond Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia to give United a crucial advantage, which the hosts could not close. Ronaldo scored his second of the match in the 61st minute to clinch United's place in the final in Rome on May 27 and manager Alex Ferguson will wait for Wednesday's result to see if his team will face Chelsea or Barcelona in Italy. United made a crucial early breakthrough thanks to a slip by Arsenal's left-back Kieran Gibbs. The 19-year-old failed to clear Ronaldo's cross in the eighth minutes and Park was perfectly placed to pick up the ball and slot it beyond 'keeper Almunia. Just three minutes later the reigning European champion broke the Gunners hearts. Ronaldo released one of his unstoppable free-kicks from 25 meters out, giving Almunia no chance. Arsenal was always going to struggle after that and didn't even manage to create a serious scoring opportunity in the first half. The start of the second half was a continuation of the first and in the 61st minute United was all but through to the final. An excellent break forward ended with Wayne Rooney laying the ball perfectly for Ronaldo to smash into the back of the net and give the visitors an unassailable lead. The hosts got a consolation goal in the 76th minute after Darren Fletcher brought down Cesc Fabregas in the box and Robin Van Persie slotted in the penalty. Fletcher was sent off for being the last man on defense and Ferguson will have to manage without him in the final in Rome in three weeks time.

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov