Clinton: Al-Qaida behind unconfirmed terror threat to US

NY mayor says police deploying additional resources around city in light of Sept. 11 terror threat, says residents should go about business as usual.

By REUTERS
September 9, 2011 19:48
1 minute read.
World Trade Center on September 11, 2001

World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS/Sara K. Schwittek)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Friday said that al-Qaida was behind a specific, credible but uncorroborated report of a threat to harm Americans, notably in New York and Washington.

"We are meeting here in New York ... with the news last night of a specific, credible but unconfirmed report that al-Qaida again is seeking to harm Americans and in particular to target New York and Washington," Clinton said in a speech.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Yalla Peace: Osama bin Laden’s message
US report warns of al-Qaida terror threat to utility plants

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said on Thursday that said city residents should go about their business as usual despite the threat.

"The NYPD (police department) is deploying additional resources around the city and taking additional steps to keep our city safe, some of which you may notice and some of which you will not notice," Bloomberg said at a news conference.

"But there's no reason for any of the rest of us to change anything in our daily routine."

Bloomberg said the threat has not been corroborated, but that it was credible and residents should be vigilant.



The White House said US President Barack Obama was briefed on specific threat information earlier in the day, and noted that the US government had already stepped up security ahead of the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

Related Content

Anti-government protesters demonstrate on a street in central Ankara
June 16, 2013
Thousands take to streets of Istanbul, defy Erdogan

By REUTERS