Court: Release all suspects in Mt. Herzl disaster

Suspects allegedly engaged in forgery, bribery, negligence, leading to J'lem stage collapse, death of IDF officer Bezaleli.

By MELANIE LIDMAN, JPOST.COM STAFF
April 19, 2012 16:38
1 minute read.
Lighting rig falls at Har Herzl

Lighting rig falls at Har Herzl 370. (photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Jerusalem Magistrate Court on Thursday ordered the release, with conditions, of all four suspects that had been arrested in connection with the collapse of a lighting rig above a stage at the capital's Mount Herzl that killed one female soldier and injured a number of others.

The suspects include the two owners of the 'Itzuv Bama' company, the company engineer, and a security consultant from the public diplomacy administration.The suspects are accused of causing death by negligence, forgery and accepting bribes.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Lawyers of the suspects claimed that the arrests were made prematurely and should have waited until the full investigation finished. Police said there could be additional arrests as more details come to light.

Commander Itzik Simon, a representative of the police, said Thursday that "what happened here is a long chain of failures at every stage and in the preparations of building the structure." He called it "negiligence at the highest level that I have seen."

Soldiers taking part in the rehearsals on the stage for Independence Day ceremonies had warned 20 minutes before the collapse that the lighting rig appeared unstable, but their calls were ignored.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Anti-government protesters demonstrate on a street in central Ankara
June 16, 2013
Thousands take to streets of Istanbul, defy Erdogan

By REUTERS