Terror attack against IDF soldiers thwarted in Hebron

No Israelis were initially believed to have been injured in the attack.

Terror attack against IDF soldiers thwarted in Hebron
Soldiers on Monday afternoon killed a young Palestinian man who attacked them with a knife near a pedestrian checkpoint down the street from the Cave of the Patriarchs in the West Bank city of Hebron. A similar incident occurred near that same location, one day earlier.
Photos of Sa’ad Al-Atrash, 20, lying wounded on the street, with its closed shop shutters, were later published on social media. Atrash’s family said he had not been armed and that he was quarreling with a soldier who had taken his ID.
The incident took place near where Shlomo Shapira was killed by a terrorist in 2002, in what was once an active Palestinian market.
On Sunday, a 17-year old Palestinian girl tried to stab Border Police officers at the entrance to the Ibrahimi Mosque in the Cave of the Patriarchs compound.
The officers thought she looked suspicious and asked her for identification. In response, she took out a knife and walked toward them while screaming. They shot and killed her before she could stab anyone.
Outside of Hebron on Monday morning, a Palestinian stabbed a 19-year-old soldier in the neck near the Beit Einun junction. Security forces shot and killed the assailant, Raed Jaradat, 22.
A Magen David Adom paramedic said that when they arrived at the scene the victim had multiple stab wounds in the upper part of his body and was conscious. “We gave him life saving treatment so he could be moved quickly into surgery. On the way [to the hospital], we worked to stop his bleeding.”
Paramedic Aharon Adler said that they were in touch with the Sha’are Zedek Medical Center’s trauma unit from the ambulance. Upon arrival at the hospital in Jerusalem the victim was immediately whisked into surgery.
Later in the afternoon the hospital reported that the soldier had survived the operation and was in stable, but serious condition.
Violence, however, continued to erupt near Beit Einun. Some 150 Palestinians clashed with the IDF in the nearby village of Sa’ir. Palestinian sources said that during the clashes a soldier shot Lyad Jaradat, 19, in the head with live ammunition. Lyad later died in an area hospital.
The IDF said it knew nothing about a fatality but confirmed that Palestinian rioters in the area had thrown stones at soldiers, who responded by firing tear gas and rubber bullets. An army spokesman said a rubber bullet hit a Palestinian in the lower body, adding that the rioter fell and injured his head.
Rabbis for Human Rights charged that in another incident, some 15 Israeli settlers attacked Palestinian olive harvesters near the Elon Moreh settlement, injuring a 70-year old Palestinian man. The IDF said it was aware of a clash that effectively ended the harvest activities for the day.