Report: Palestinian youth killed during confrontation with IDF

Palestinians throwing stones and other objects at IDF troops were fired upon with rubber bullets, said the IDF, who were "unaware" of any casualties among the Palestinians.

A masked Palestinian teenager throws a stone at Israeli soldiers (photo credit: REUTERS)
A masked Palestinian teenager throws a stone at Israeli soldiers
(photo credit: REUTERS)
A Palestinian teen was killed on Tuesday and dozens of rioters were injured during violent clashes with the IDF at the Fawwar refugee camp outside of Hebron, the Palestinian Health Ministry said.
The dead youth was named Mohammed abu Hashhash, according to Hebron hospital official Walid Zaloum, who said the teenager was killed by a bullet that entered through his back and struck above his heart. The Palestinian Health Ministry said he was 17 years old.
The IDF said its troops entered Fawwar to search for suspects and weapons and were attacked by local youths who threw concrete blocks, rocks and home-made explosives at them. Soldiers responded with small-caliber live fire, rubber bullets and tear gas.
“Riots erupted and dozens of Palestinians hurled [home made explosives], blocks and rocks at the forces,” an army spokeswoman said. “[They] responded with riot dispersal means and fired 0.22 caliber bullets towards main instigators.” She added that the IDF confiscated two pistols, a commando knife, stun grenades and bullets.
The operation, she said, was part of the army’s ongoing efforts to quell terrorism in Judea and Samaria.
Abu Hashhash is the first Palestinian fatality this month in a confrontation with Israeli forces. Violence that has included Palestinian stabbings, shootings, rock throwing and car rammings against Israelis have largely tapered off in recent months.
Since October, Palestinians, many of them acting alone and with rudimentary weapons, have killed at least 35 Israelis and two visiting Americans.
At least 207 Palestinians have been killed, 140 of whom Israel said were assailants. Others died during clashes and protests.
The non-governmental group B’Tselem, said the refugee camp, along with the Hebron area had been subject to repeated closures in the last ten months, including in July in the aftermath of the terror attack that killed Rabbi Michael Mark.
The closures have had a crippling effect on the Palestinians, B’Tselem said.
“To get out of the camp, its residents and those of the two nearby villages – including students, the elderly, children and sick patients – had to walk or take a taxi to the camp’s closed gate, proceed on foot for about 150 meters, across Route 60, a very busy main road, to the gate leading into Dura, and get another taxi there,” B’Tselem said in a report it issued on the matter a few weeks ago.