Famous quotes about Jerusalem which emphasize how it has always played a significant role in Jewish history, culturally, spiritually and politically.
“For three thousand years, Jerusalem has been the center of Jewish hope and longing. No other city has played such a dominant role in the history, culture, religion and consciousness of a people as has Jerusalem in the life of Jewry and Judaism. Throughout centuries of exile, Jerusalem remained alive in the hearts of Jews everywhere as the focal point of Jewish history, the symbol of ancient glory, spiritual fulfillment and modern renewal. This heart and soul of the Jewish people engenders the thought that if you want one simple word to symbolize all of Jewish history, that word would be ‘Jerusalem.’”
“In the din and tumult of the age, the still small voice of Jerusalem remains our only music.”
- Israel Zangwill“If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill.”
- Psalm 137:5“Without Jerusalem, the land of Israel is as a body without a soul.”
- Elhanan Leib Lewinsky"The view of Jerusalem is the history of the world; it is more, it is the history of earth and of heaven."
- Benjamin Disraeli“Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity.”
- Yehuda Amichai“You are shaking… so am I. It is because of Jerusalem, isn’t it? One does not go to Jerusalem, one returns to it. That’s one of its mysteries.”
- Elie Wiesel“We regard it as our duty to declare that Jewish Jerusalem is an organic and inseparable part of the State of Israel, as it is an inseparable part of the history of Israel, of the faith of Israel."
- David Ben-Gurion“Your name will scorch my lips forever,
Like a seraph's kiss, I'm told,
If I forget thee, golden city,
Jerusalem of gold.”
- Naomi Shemer