KUNAR, Afghanistan - A week-long offensive by Afghan and NATO-led forces has killed about 130 insurgents in an east Afghanistan province, the governor said on Wednesday, one of the highest militant casualty tolls from a single operation in recent months.
Fazlullah Wahidi, the governor of Kunar province, one of the areas in the volatile east where the Taliban have recently gained ground, told Reuters the week-long air and ground assaults had focused on two districts which the Taliban had taken over.
"The troops killed 132 insurgents, wounded 20 and detained another 40," Wahidi said from Kunar.
The regional office for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said that 80 insurgents had been killed in the operation. Six foreign and two Afghan soldiers also died.