Four protesters against military rule in Sudan shot dead, doctors say

Sudanese security forces shot dead four people during nationwide protests on Thursday, a doctors' committee said, as tens of thousands of people marched against military rule.

Security forces fired tear gas and stun grenades as protesters marched through Khartoum and the neighboring cities of Omdurman and Bahri towards the presidential palace.

The Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors said four protesters were shot dead by security forces, at least three of them in Omdurman.

Thursday was the 11th round of major demonstrations since an October 25 coup, which saw Abdallah Hamdok removed and then reinstated as prime minister. The demonstrators have demanded that the military play no role in government during a transition to free elections.

Security forces confronted the protesters about 2 km from the palace in the center of the capital, a Reuters witness said, adding that there was a heavy security presence in the area.

Protesters continued facing tear gas in the city of Bahri past sundown near a blocked bridge connecting it to the capital, another Reuters witness said.

Amid a communications blackout, most bridges to Khartoum were closed, with at least two blocked by shipping containers. An army checkpoint with an armored vehicle was seen at one of the bridges that remained open.

Protesters heading towards the blocked bridge connecting Bahri to the capital chanted: "As much as we sacrifice and die, we won’t be ruled by the boot."

On Saturday, protesters came close to the presidential palace, despite facing heavy volleys of tear gas and a communications blackout.

Internet and mobile services appeared to be disrupted in Khartoum on Thursday.

Reuters staff were unable to make or receive domestic and international calls and a source at a telecoms company said an order to shut down internet services had come from the state-owned Sudan National Telecommunications Corporation.

Some people managed to post images on social media showing protests in several other cities, including Port Sudan, Zalenjei, Kassala.

The Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors said more than 200 people were wounded during Saturday's protest, with six hit by bullets.

The committee also reported 48 deaths in crackdowns against military rule since October.

"I come for the martyred. I'm not going to be tired because some people gave their lives for this. Being tired is nothing compared to that," said a nurse in Bahri who has attended all 11 protests and gave her name as Jihad.

Several young men wore gloves to allow them to throw back tear gas canisters and stun grenades.

"I wear this glove to keep my brothers and sisters and mothers safe. When the police fire tear gas, I can throw it back," said one young man who asked not to be identified.

Sudan's sovereign council this week reinstated powers of arrests, detentions and seizures to the country's intelligence service.

Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use and privacy policy