BREAKING NEWS

Australian police arrest man for allegedly supplying gun in deadly Melbourne attack

WELLINGTON - Australian police said on Monday a 25-year-old man had been arrested and charged with allegedly supplying a firearm used in a deadly siege in Melbourne last week, which Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull called an "act of terrorism".
Victoria state police said in a statement on their website that the man had been charged with four offenses and would appear in court on June 14.
The deadly attack took place on June 6 in Australia's second-largest city with police shooting dead a gunman, Yacqub Khayre, after he killed a man in the foyer of an apartment block and held a woman hostage inside.
Turnbull said police were treating the siege as an "act of terrorism" after a claim by the Islamic State group that one of its fighters was the gunman responsible.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use and privacy policy

Read all Tweets >