BOSTON - Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will face about 20 of his victims at a hearing next month when he will be formally sentenced to die for the 2013 attack, a US judge said on Tuesday.
The same jury that found Tsarnaev, 21, guilty of killing three people and injuring 264 with a pair of homemade pressure-cooker bombs at the race's crowded finish line on April 15, 2013, sentenced him to death for his crimes last week.
"We could proceed rather expeditiously," in making the jury's sentence formal, US District Judge George O'Toole told prosecutors and defense attorneys in the same courtroom where Tsarnaev was tried. He did not set a date for the one-day sentencing hearing, but said he would do so soon.
Federal prosecutors said that about 20 victims, a group that includes people injured by the bombing and those whose friends or family were hurt or killed, have indicated they wish to speak at the sentencing hearing.
Tsarnaev, who did not appear at Tuesday's hearing, would also have the right to speak at the sentencing hearing but would not be obligated to say anything. He did not speak in his own defense during his trial.