EDMONTON, Alberta — A Canadian man accused of conspiring to kill Americans was denied bail Friday while he fights extradition to the United States.
Alberta judge Eric Macklin said the crimes Faruq Khalil Muhammad 'Isa, a Canadian citizen and Iraqi national, is accused of are extremely serious and it's essential he remain in custody.
Muhammad 'Isa, 38, has been charged in the US with supporting a multinational terrorist network that took part in a suicide bombing that killed five soldiers in Iraq. If convicted, he faces life in prison.
He was arrested in Edmonton, Alberta, last month on a US warrant after a joint investigation by the FBI's New York Joint Terrorism Task Force, Royal Canadian Mounted Police and Tunisian authorities.
US officials said Muhammad 'Isa, also known as Sayfildin Tahir Sharif, was a long-distance conspirator and booster for Tunisian jihadists in Iraq, urging them in a series of messages to kill "dog Americans" in suicide bombings.