Youth loses five fingers after playing with Purim firecracker

A 14-year-old boy was moderately-to-seriously injured on Wednesday after a Purim firecracker he was holding exploded, tearing five fingers off his hand and launching shrapnel into his face. An MDA team evacuated the youth to the Soroka Medical Center in Beersheba. The youth told the medical crew that the firecracker went off during an attempt to increase its force. Following the incident, MDA Director-General Eli Bin called upon parents to prevent their children from purchasing dangerous explosives that could cause severe handicaps such as that day's incident, "or even worse."