Rioting in east Jerusalem continues for second day after Palestinian teen's death

Father of 16-year-old claims boy was shot in the head by sponge bullet during riot, police claim teen was shot in leg, fell on head while attempting to flee.

Palestinian protesters take cover during clashes with Israel Police in the east Jerusalem neighborhood of Wadi Joz September 7, 2014. (photo credit: REUTERS)
Palestinian protesters take cover during clashes with Israel Police in the east Jerusalem neighborhood of Wadi Joz September 7, 2014.
(photo credit: REUTERS)
For a second day, fighting continued in east Jerusalem following news that a Palestinian teen from the area died Sunday, one week after being struck in the head by a sponge bullet during a riot.
In the east Jerusalem neighborhoods of Ras el-Amud and Isawiya masked Palestinians hurled stones toward Israeli police forces.
No injuries or damage were so far reported.
On Sunday, sporadic protests erupted in the capital as police clashed with residents.
Masked men sparked a fire in the capital's French Hill neighborhood, as they tried to set a gas station ablaze with Molotov cocktails.
Damage was caused to a convenience store but no injuries were reported. Firefighting units were at the scene, working to put out the flames.
No arrests have been made so far in the French Hill incident.
In the A-Tur neighborhood, meanwhile, an Israeli was lightly injured when Palestinians hurled stones at his car.
The capital's Wadi Joz neighborhood saw a similar scene unfold, as residents hurled rocks and flares at police, causing damage to a vehicle. Earlier, an Israeli was hurt and evacuated to a local hospital after his car was attacked with rocks.
In the neighborhood of Shuafat, the Light Rail system was the target of Palestinian anger, as stones were thrown at the rail lines.
On Mount Scopus, in the Arab village of Issawiya, police were dispersing crowds who had gathered to protest. 
In a statement issued shortly before midnight, Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat condemned the rioting, adding that he is working closely with police to "take strong measures against rioters" damaging property and targeting Jewish residents.
“Police have heightened security throughout east Jerusalem to ensure no further incidents occur,” said police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.
Despite news that the 16-year-old Palestinian youth was declared dead on Sunday, police allege the teen was shot in the leg, and subsequently died from a head injury sustained when he fell after attempting to flee police.
According to Rosenfeld, Muhammad Abd Al-Majid Sunuqrut participated in a August 31 riot in the Wadi Joz neighborhood of eastern Jerusalem when he was shot for throwing rocks at officers attempting to disperse the mob.
“He was struck in the leg, and when he attempted to run away fell and hit his head on the ground,” said Rosenfeld.
The boy was transferred to Hadassah University Medical Center in Ein Kerem after initially being treated at an east Jerusalem hospital.
A spokesperson from Hadassah said Sunuqrut had emergency surgery for internal bleeding in his head shortly after arriving, but did not comment on the nature of the injury.    
“When he came to the hospital he was in very bad condition and doctors performed lifesaving surgery right away, but he did not fully recover and died today,” the spokesperson said on Sunday.
The teen’s body is expected to be transferred to the Abu Kabir Forensic Institute for an autopsy to be conducted by a Palestinian doctor with an attorney present.
Sunuqrut’s father told Palestinian media that his son was shot in the head while speaking on his phone, away from the rioting.