Couple hospitalized in serious condition after eating blowfish
By JPOST.COM STAFF
A couple from Kiryat Yam was evacuated in serious condition to Rambam Hospital in Haifa after eating fish, apparently a blowfish, Israel Radio reported Saturday evening.
The two, aged 47 and 48, called an ambulance complaining of serious stomach aches. On the way to the hospital, the wife lost consciousness, stopped breathing and went into cardiac arrest.
The husband's condition also deteriorated as he arrived in the hospital.
The blowfish is edible but some parts of it, especially the liver and other internal organs, are extremely poisonous. A physician at the hospital said there was no antidote for the poison, the only treatment being an iron lung and constant monitoring.
The couple's condition was life-threatening.
var cont = `Sign up for The Jerusalem Post Premium Plus for just $5
Upgrade your reading experience with an ad-free environment and exclusive content