Son suspected of killing his mother

Raanana Son suspected

Dr. Ariana Margolis 248.88 (photo credit: )
Dr. Ariana Margolis 248.88
(photo credit: )
A 26-year-old man went on a lethal knife attack rampage against his family on Friday evening, stabbing his mother to death and seriously wounding his brother in Ra'anana. The motive for the attack remained unclear on Saturday, though initial reports suggest that Yovav Elguati was struggling with mental health problems. During an initial police interrogation, the suspect told detectives that his family was "out to get him," and that they had been pressuring him to find a job. He added that his family had hired a personal coach to help him find his place in society. Early on Friday evening, the man arrived at the home of his mother, Dr. Ariana Margolis, and stabbed her repeatedly in the upper body following a struggle. Despite her injuries, Margolis, 59, managed to place a call to Magen David Adom paramedics to report the attack. Paramedics who arrived at her home attempted to prevent massive blood loss before rushing to her to the Meir Hospital in Kfar Saba, where Margolis was pronounced dead. During her last moments of consciousness, Margolis warned rescue officials that her son was heading to his 38-year-old brother's home, also in Ra'anana, with the intention of murdering him. Paramedics rushed to the brother's address and found him seriously wounded after sustaining several knife wounds. He was evacuated to the Meir Hospital, and remained in moderate condition on Saturday. The murder suspect was arrested outside of his brother's home. He was covered in blood during his arrest, police said, and was described by officers as being "very calm." "I murdered my mother and brother," the suspect told police. The police investigation found that after stabbing his mother, the suspect made his way to his brother's apartment in his mother's car. While attacking his brother, the suspect lightly wounded his brother's wife, who had attempted to fend him off. Margolis's ex-husband arrived at her home but was not allowed by officers to enter the murder scene on Friday evening. He collapsed after hearing the news of his ex-wife's death and son's injury, and required medical assistance on the scene. The suspect reenacted the attacks for police on Friday night and made a full confession, police said. He is expected to be sent to a psychiatric hospital for an examination to determine whether he is fit to stand trial, police added.