Survey: Israelis post ads, reminders on their fridges

Information center CEO: If the kitchen is the center of the home, the refrigerator is the heart.

fridge 248.88 (photo credit: Ariel Jerozlimski)
fridge 248.88
(photo credit: Ariel Jerozlimski)
Notes to oneself, Israeli flags, children's test scores, cartoon strips - these are just some of the things that decorate the average Israeli's refrigerator, according to a survey released Monday by The Golden Page, which publishes magnetic directories. Three hundred thirty homeowners from all over the country participated last week in this first-of-its-kind survey on household use of the refrigerator, conducted in advance of Family Day, being marked Tuesday. The survey revealed that 88 percent of people put some form of information on their fridges, be it stickers, magnets, or clippings, leaving only 12% whose fridge doors remain bare. Some 96 percent of those with something on their refrigeraors have some form of service advertisement there, ranging from ads for taxis (10%) to pizza delivery (35%). "What mattered most to us," said Ron, a Golden Page worker, "is if people actually used these ads on their fridges." The survey seems to suggest that they do, as 61% of people said they referred to the ads frequently and 15% said they did occasionally. Refrigerator adornments are often personal or decorative. Sixty-one percent of people have photographs posted and 46% have paintings. Picture content varies from home to home, but they largely include travel photographs, postcards and the Israeli flag. Four percent of respondents post their children's tests. Less common ornaments include dollar bills, painted angels and love letters. According to one of the survey takers, one homeowner said that he keeps money inside his fridge. Another has magnets that play pop songs. Mostly though, the fridge seems to be information central. Fifty-one percent of people have calendars on their fridges, 49% have various reminders, 48% have letters and messages and 33% have shopping lists. Some 24% of people admitted to opening the fridge more than 40 times a day, often without a definite reason. On average, women open the fridge door three times more often than men. In short, the numbers seem to indicate that food storage is only a part of the appliance's function in the home. "The kitchen is an icon at the center of everything," said Yossi Nevo, CEO of The Golden Page, "and if the kitchen is the center, the refrigerator is the heart."