Weekend violence erupts around Israel

Weekend violence erupts

murder 248.88 (photo credit: Channel 10)
murder 248.88
(photo credit: Channel 10)
A spate of unrelated stabbings and a shooting occurred over the weekend around the country, leaving one man dead and several people hospitalized. Three people - a husband, wife, and a landlord - were evacuated from a Netanya apartment on Saturday afternoon by paramedics, suffering from stab wounds. The wounded are said to be in light condition and have been hospitalized at the Laniado Hospital in Netanya. Police officers found a baby in the apartment, and transferred him to social services custody. An initial police investigation found that an alcohol-fueled confrontation had erupted, leading to the stabbings. The injured "are too intoxicated to communicate with police at this stage," police said on Saturday. In Rehovot, a 17-year-old was rushed to the Kaplan Hospital on Friday evening with a stab wound. He was hospitalized in serious condition. Police have launched an investigation into the circumstances of that incident. In Rishon Lezion, a 22-year-old man was taken to the Assaf Harofe Medical Center on Thursday night after being stabbed by two assailants. The attack took place in Rishon Letzion's entertainment and bar district in the city's old industrial zone, the scene of frequent fights between intoxicated youths. Also in Rishon Lezion, a 16-year-old was stabbed in the leg after getting into a fight with a number of other teenagers. The stabbing followed a verbal altercation which began when the stab victim, who was holding a party in his home, stepped outside to speak to a group of youths. Police have arrested a suspect in connection with that attack. Meanwhile, in Nazareth, 22-year-old Ali Jemali Ihiyya was shot dead while driving in his vehicle. A passer-by, 20, was caught up in the gun attack and sustained moderate gunshot wounds by stray bullets. Police say the shooting was criminal-related. No suspects have yet been arrested. On Thursday evening, a Rishon Lezion Magistrate extended the custody of four minors arrested on suspicion of being involved in a feud which led to a lethal gun attack on a school bus near the village of Kafr Kassam. Three minors were remanded in custody for six days, while a fourth minor was ordered to remain in police custody for eight days.